Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Adapting

I was all set to register for Saturday's short TT in Cape May when I got up this morning. But when I went to the BikeReg page, I discovered that the event had been canceled. I really wanted to do that one. Short, fast and furious. Oh well. Change to the back up plan of doing the 40km TT in Carlisle PA instead. Makes for a lot of driving on Saturday but it'll be ok. Now that the leaky radiator hose has been replaced the car is running great.

I'll still get to Lisa's in Cherry Hill in plenty of time to enjoy the evening. We've got tickets for the Philadelphia Orchestra. Really looking forward to the Sibelius Violin Concerto and Bruckner 6. Eschenbach is conducting so it'll be an excellent interpretation. We've got reservations at Tir na Nog - great beer list there and I'm sure the food will be fine. Lisa's bummed she won't get to see me race yet, but at least she'll get to see the new bike. :-)

Last night was the first time on the Ordu with the Aksiums on it. The difference in rolling resistance is noticeable but that's ok. Working a little harder to move the bike in training isn't a bad thing. Warmed up with Ellen, Mona and Diane. Always good to see them. Ellen seems to be really stoked about racing this year.

And Mona really wants to buy one of Lisa's paintings, which is way cool. This will be the 3rd piece she's sold this month with the guy who bought Slava, Sonja & Christina buying one and now Mona. The cellist is hanging in my office - looks good up there.

Hard workout - seven efforts: 1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 4 min, 5 min, 1 min, 5 min. Equal rest on the 1 minute efforts, half rest for the rese (rounded up to the nearest minute). Got up to the top of Z4 no problem. The old jett saddle is an improvement over the selle italia that came with the bike, but it's still not ideal because it's the wrong size. The fun came in blowing past the tris on their TT bikes when I did my efforts.

Stopped and chatted with a couple of the speed skaters (Ron, who I've gotten to know over the past couple of years and a new guy Aubry) then pulled them around for a lap. The sound of their skates behind me sort of simulated the sound of the disc wheel. Aubry asked me to take him up to 19mph, so I did, actually settled in right around 19.5, which kept me at the top end of Z2. We took it easy through the 2-way section until we got back to where they'd park then chatted some more about skating, training, and racing. Turns out Aubry was right on the same HR I was give or take a beat, but for me it was Z2 and for him it was a hard effort.

It's good to start getting into the summer routine of riding outside and enjoying going to Hains Point. By August it'll all be old, but for now it feels good to adapt back into this mode. Though it takes some time - lots to do, training takes more time in ways and less in others. Usually more time on the bike but it takes a lot less time to get to the Point, so I'm usually home between 8 and 8:30 instead of just leaving f'ing Vienna at that time, which is the case when we do computrainer class out there in the winter.

No comments: